Monday, November 16, 2009

"Lift Off" at 5th & K: Your View?

Over the past week, a sculpture called "Lift Off" was installed at 5th and K Streets NW. It's not yet finished, but it is nearing completion. According to the artist, David Black, “The sculpture was inspired by children flying kites on the national Mall.”

I'm all for public art and I'm not a professional art critic. My first impression of this piece is that it is just a bit too massive for the space. It practically blocks the entirety of Bus Boys and Poets from view from the street. It also reminds me of a piece of unfinished building construction, clad in in taxi cab yellow, on steroids. But maybe it will grow on me.

What's your view? Vote in the poll on the top right corner of the blog.

5 comments:

JohnD said...

I would suggest we give it some time. With the relative lack of public are in the neighborhoods in DC, we just aren't used to this. Look at the uproar over "Boxer Girl" in Eckington, and that was on a private house. Also, the issues that people had to go through to get permission to paint the abandonded police and fire call boxes. We are hopefully going to see more of this type of abstract public art in the future and for me it does nothing but add to the uniqueness that is Washington, helps define neighborhoods, and provides if nothing more a conversation piece on Fifth Street.

Cary Silverman said...

John, I agree. While my first reaction to this particular piece was not positive, I am very happy to see the city installing art in public spaces such as this one. I hope we'll see more public art in the neighborhoods, parks, and downtown. I'm also hoping that once the installation is complete, and I believe there will be lighting added, that this sculpture will grow on me.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to give it some time - but it isn't working. It is too short and fat for the space. It doesn't enhance the look of the block at all - it looks like a giant mistake, that someone forgot to come back and remove.

HazyMind said...

I'm just waiting for someone to scalp themselves on that fish tail part closest to 5th Street. I went by on my bicycle and would have came close but I'm short. Give it time and they'll be taking a blow torch to that part. Art is good though.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people worked hard on this project and it takes a couple of years or more to get this type of art commissioned and installed. It is meant to work with the nearby tree in the garden circle which was just planted and needs time to grow and fill in. It is too bad they didn't start with more fully grown tree. We have so many more things to be concerned about, such as the violence throughout the neighborhood. So, relax, let the installation be completed and lighted and let the tree grown in. I think the sculpture will look good in different types of seasons. Please have a drink and let's give it some time...Deborah